Ugly Circumstances

I have been reading Jonah and the whale to Harrison and Henry lately when I put them to bed. It had been one of those stories growing up that I could never believe would be real: a man inside of a whale. Right. However, as I grow in faith and understand the way that God works in us now, I realize how real that story is.

God asked Jonah to go to Ninevah to preach against their iniquities. God wanted to use Jonah to change a nation. Jonah said no. To God. And on his way to Tarshish, (Harrison makes me call it "Tarsheesh") there's a  huge storm. The drivers of the ship are finally persuaded by Jonah to throw him out of the boat. And it's then that the storm dies down, and Jonah ends up in the whale. Then, three days later, the whale throws him up in Ninevah.

As abrasive, and quite frankly, disgusting, this story is, I am elated now to learn about this side of God's grace.

1 Thessolonians tells us: "rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (5:16-18) I am reminded of the story where Jesus fed 5,000. The apostles had it all figured out. They said that before Jesus started preaching, that the people should go into town and get dinner because they were hungry. But Jesus had better plans. With a couple loafs of bread and some fish, he miraculously fed all of the people there that day with food leftover in baskets. Where God is, things multiply. God is good.

So I know all of these things. I have examples in scripture where God provides, I am told to pray in every circumstance, and as I look back in my life, I can see examples of God giving me more than I deserve and taking away things that I am sure would not foster a better relationship with him. I know that. So why do I get so disheartened?

For two years, I have been praying for something to happen, and it hasn't. Jesus talks about what it means to have the faith of the mustard seed. "You can move mountains," he illustrates. I think I believe that. But when mountains aren't moved, what happens? What are we to do? Does God forget about us?

If I were Jonah, I would not say yes to God, either. I would want to go to Tarshish. My goal in life would not be to go somewhere that kids were killed or evil dwelt. I want to move mountains and things like that. I want my life to be what I want it to be. When I hear "God is good," I think of things like the miracles that Jesus performed, or Isaac being taken off of the alter to not be killed, or Jesus rising, or Paul ministering to western civilization. Not Jonah going to Ninevah. Not Daniel going to a lions den. Not persecution or the bad stuff. I want to bask in His glory, not be told "go where you don't want to go," or "no, you can't have that now."

Today, I was reminded of the way that God works. When I am the writer of my life, I can count it a loss. God wants me to be so blessed. He wants me to be blessed with the desires of my heart. But first, my eyes need to be focused on Him. Not on what I want. He is the desire. And that is easier said than done.

I get wrapped up in my thoughts, and wants, and even needs rather than wrapped up in the things of the Lord. And then, I get so mad at myself! Because I remember that God is my first desire, and I know I shouldn't be so burdened by the things of this world. Daily, I am blessed by His presence, and I have joy, then anxiety creeps in, and I am easily angered, or I sin. This is where I look at Jonah. Whether I sell out for God and do everything that He desires me to, or whether I get wrapped up in what I want, and where I want to go, He is going to get me where He wants me. I love this story! God went to great lengths to get Jonah back to Ninevah. To preach against their sin. Jonah could have gone the first time, but he didn't. And God was just as gracious with the prophet as He was with the nation.

And He is with us. With out hearts and minds focused on the Maker, there is nothing that we can't do. Even if it's what we don't want to do initially. Even if it's an ugly circumstance. He is with us when we want Him there.

I have been told "no" directly by God before. I wanted, in college, to go to Spain. On my way to sign up for the trip, I got a flat tire. The tire got fixed at exactly the time that the meeting ended. And my spirit was unquestionably in told: "you are not going." I also wanted to move to San Luis Obispo. I remember praying and seeking His guidance. I asked Him for a "yes" or a "no." As soon as I went to speak with the counselors about my future, they had three people looking at my transcripts. "No," said the first. "Absolutely no," said the second, "there's no way you will be accepted in Cal Poly," the third counselor told me. They said it just like that. I was so distraught, embarrassed, but so thankful that the God of the universe would guide me so directly.


 He has also opened countless doors that have placed me in positions that I never thought possible. God has literally carried me through things that I would not believe I could do had I not been in Him. Going to Haiti with a youth group, becoming a teacher, buying a home, meeting Jon, and being fortunate to see great missionaries do their work in South Africa top the charts in my life of circumstances that I would only dream that I could do. And I give all glory to God, because I know that I am not worthy or good enough to accomplish any of these things without Him.


Today, I am going to jump out of the boat. I am going to ask God that He will calm the storm so that I can be forced back to Ninevah to do His work (wherever that is). I know I have to jump, and after that, everything's up to God. Thankfully.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battle

Baby Lala: week 12

Crazy Lady