Dutz

There is something to be said about a generation who endured the great depression, World War II, and who bore the great generation that includes my parents': the "Baby Boomers." I know that there has been a lot written about this generation. Many people, including Tom Brokaw, has called the "Silent Generation" the "greatest generation in the 20th century." And I agree.

From personal experience, I have had the privilege to have had this example of the Silent Generation molded into my life through my Grandma Dutz. I am so fortunate to be able to have been blessed with words of wisdom coupled with a modeled example of what it means to do what is right. There are so many things about my grandma that set her apart. She raised 7 kids: 6 girls and 1 boy while my Grandpap was off on military duty during the Korea and Vietnam wars. She worked diligently as a delivery nurse, was involved in her church, kept a clean house, put food on the table, and made sure that she always put her family first.  I was not around during those years, obviously, but from the people that all of my aunts, my uncle, and my mom turned out to be, I can say with confidence that she did her best to live as selflessly as possible.

As one of 16 grandchildren, I know that I can always call on my grandma no matter what. There is not a bigger cheerleader in my corner. I know that about me, but also about my other cousins and my brother and sister. She has always dropped everything to be there for all of us. She and my Grandpap had been to every school performance, sports game, graduation, award ceremony, and birthday. They definitely kept busy in their own lives serving the community, but made sure that family knew that family came first. I can always count on my grandma to take part in any hardship or celebration in my life. When my parents divorced, she was the first one to cry. When I was going through college, she was always there to hear about my grades. When I had my miscarriage, she made chicken soup, and got on the phone with her church's psychologist to make sure that Jon and I could have an appointment for grievance. When I got pregnant while going through graduate school, she encouraged me to push through...."It's only a season," she said, "you will be so proud that you finished. Don't quit." And I didn't. Now, I am so thankful to be a teacher and a mom. She constantly pushes us to push. To do our best. To do what is right. She is not quiet about making wise choices, and this often rubs people the wrong way. She doesn't care about offending people, and has often offended me. However, in the long run, I know for a fact that she is usually right.

I call her often because she is one of the few in my life who REALLY wants to hear about what is happening. She will light a candle at church every time there is a prayer request, or when there is a cousin who needs it. Anytime I am going through a trial, I call her and her first response is always, "OK, what time? what day? who is it? what is their name? I am going to pray."

Recently, Jon was making a decision. Perhaps her best piece of advise was relayed back to him. "What is best for your family? Don't worry about anything outside of that. People will understand. Always make decisions with that in mind: what is going to be the best choice...not for me, but for my kids and my family." And that is honestly how she lives her life. She never makes choices without that thought in mind. She doesn't live her life for what makes her happy now. She makes choices selflessly. Hard as it may be. Difficult as they come. She lives a life of sacrifice. Not for money. Not for glory. Not for a pat on the back, or for happy feelings. But for others. She pushes through difficulties to make sure that others are put first. And it uncomfortable for people to see and hear that sometimes.

I am so grateful that I have so many great family members on all sides of my family. I have so many great grandparents, and aunts and uncles; in laws and blood related. My dad is a blessing. And I don't know what I would do without my mom. They all deserve a blog written about the sacrifices that they make for me. It's just today, I am feeling blessed and thankful for my grandma Dutz.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battle

Baby Lala: week 12

Crazy Lady